Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Chappy 1, schweet.

Okies, the actual first chappy is up, yayness! Sorry it took so long, I was working 16+ hours just on the weekend doing my pinata...and working on it throughout the week, so yeah. Last week and this week are both going to be kinda crazy, but after that hopefully I'll be in the clear.

Bwahaha. I'll admit, throwing you guys for a loop in the prologue is amusing. And then I kind of giggle at how in Shattered most of the reviews said they disliked Chill, but as soon as he's dead, he becomes slightly more liked. I'll make a note of that. ;)

Anyway, to questions and such:

@Nightfrost: While it's true that kittens don't have to look exactly like their parents, their parents are the most important factor in how a kit looks. I'm not sure if you've had genetics in class or not, but if so then you probably know all about Punnet Squares and all that, to determine genes and stuff. It's true that kits can inherit traits from way back in their lineage, but ONLY if that gene has been passed through the generations. Also, if the trait doesn't show up, then it's probably recessive, and could only appear if the other parent carried it too. For example, take Silverstar's family. Her father, Fadedstar, had blue eyes. Her mother, Whitefrost, had green eyes. Blue is recessive to green, so for Silverstar to have blue eyes, her mother had to carry the trait for both green eyes AND blue eyes. By chance, she passed her blue eyes trait to Silverstar, and Fadedstar did the same, giving Silverstar blue eyes. On the other hand, Silverstar's sister has green eyes, because Whitefrost gave her the trait for green eyes, which was dominant over the trait for blue eyes from Fadedstar. Theoretically, it would be possible for a cat to have a rarer pelt color too, even from far back in their lineage, but ONLY if it was present on both sides. Like with your ginger pelt; assuming that ginger is submissive to blue-gray (I have no idea if it is, just an example) then a ginger kitten could be born to parents that are both blue-gray, if BOTH of them had a ginger cat somewhere in their lineage and the trait for a ginger pelt was passed down to them. Because of how complex that becomes, I try to stick with first generation genetics. Sometimes I'll go a bit farther back (for example, Whitefrost's father was white, but neither of her daughters are completely white, although they have some white markings. Cinderstream carried Whitefrost's white-fur trait and gave it to Chill; for this to happen, Ashstir also had to have a white cat in his lineage) but generally it's easier for everyone to stick with the parents. Is that any clearer? Did that help? ^^;

@Crowstorm: Maybe he managed to get a bit of perspective while training with Silverstar, who knows? It didn't seem to matter, but maybe it will later. I've no idea. @.@

@Shimmertail: Maybe Spider being nice was blatant lies...but he's sort of semi-nice on the inside. Beneath all the cockiness and spitting, that is. And, yeah, I still shudder when I think of Sparklewish. Good charrie, but her /name/....And I'm still waiting on that e-mail, hmmm. :D

@Dawnshine: A dream, yes, but of a real event, as we see in Ch 1. All that really happened. Sootkit never saw it herself (that's why Chill's pelt tends to change in her dream, she doesn't know what he really looked like) but she dreams of the same scene a lot, for some reason....

@AutumnSunsets: There's only one question of yours that wasn't answered in that AN. To the answer the unanswered question, I am not a fan of pie unless it is chocolate pie made by my mom, or sometimes a banana creme pie.

@QueenofthePens: Soot's always been a girl, Spider's the dude.

@Madame Wolfe: Chilly died because Stormshadow killed him, as in Soot's dream. Soot is Ravenwing/Eaglestrike's kit.

@Lynxeye: Silverstar's lost three lives by now, poor girl. I don't think anyone could beat Tigerstar's record, ha. We'll see where Chilly is soon enough. His balance-thingy was more for others protecting him and losing their lives than for someone killing him; sort of a give-receive type deal.Allegiances would be a very good idea, actually, I think I might do that in my next post. The AshClan cats are set in stone, but PeakClan's might change, I haven't quite decided. I really want to try first person again, and I think I have an idea for a perfect story just for that.

@Fae: Hey! I've seen you on the boards (love the way you structure your posts, as weird as that sounds; I couldn't summon up the energy to keep bolding and spacing stuff, ha). Your sister sounds familiar, was she one of my older reviewers? I'm horrible with names, so maybe not...I try to review most of the stories that I read, personally, but I don't read very many stories myself; I have trouble reading stuff on the computer. I actually printed out my 110+ driver's manual for my permit test, rather than read it on the computer. Took a lot of ink, sigh. Don't worry, we'll see more of Chilly; it isn't called Chilled for nothing. C:

@Smokefrost: Possessed? That sounds terrifying, poor kit. Something like that happened in TR, tho, and I hate using the same old stuff, so prolly not. :)

@Fred: Prologues are kinda meant to be short, in my opinion, but that's just me. This Prologue was actually longer than Shattered's, though.

@CrystalSakura: *smacks forehead* I saw those when I read through it like the fourth time, but I don't want to go re-upload the Doc and fuss with it (I can't use Ctrl+F, so finding the lapses is really hard). And yessir, that was Chilly at the end, even though Soot doesn't necessarily know it.

@Ninjakitty: Now I really want to see this picture, ha! You must make a dA. I demands it! Well, I can't really demand it, but I would...appreciate it, I s'pose. Stormshadow is Shredder, I'll clear that up in the allegiances.

Next post will be the allegiances; I think attached to it will be some more charry-bio goodness. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment